We have barely begun and you have already heard me remind you several times that we are guests of Tyler State Park. That means we must abide by their rules. As we grow larger and larger each season, we face new challenges while enjoying the opportunity to meet new runners while running across familiar territory. It also means that we become a bigger target for those who are upset and a more visible when things go wrong.
We are currently facing a huge challenge with parking. The lower lots simply do not have enough spots for all of us, let alone anyone else who might want to visit the park while we are there. We want everyone to enjoy their runs and sure, you can always use the distance from a farther lot for your warm up and cool down, but sometimes you just want to get home or get warm! We get it. But I don’t want people to start showing up at 7:30 or even 7 just to get a close spot (and quite frankly, we need some of the boathouse spots early on for loading and unloading a lot of stuff!).It’s starting to feel like trying to register for that race that is selling out quicker and quicker and where is the fun in that?!?! So, because of this, we ask and will implement the following:
- CARPOOL – if there is any way you can carpool, please do it. We have people who often come from similar areas – Yardley, Newtown, Levittown, etc. Maybe you can find a local place to meet and come in together.
- OBEY – you must obey the posted signs and rules of the park. You must park only in designated spots – not on the road or on the grass. I know that we are not the only offenders, but we are blamed. The park is going to begin ticketing cars parked illegally.
- MORE VOLUNTEERS – we are going to have more parking volunteers to ensure that lots are filled and monitored
- SHUTTLE – we are looking for 1 or 2 people who are willing to be dedicated shuttle volunteers. We have asked the park to use lots farther away and offer a shuttle service for runners to the boathouse and then back after the race. The best people are non-runners, perhaps a spouse who isn’t running? Also, we would ask that they have at least a sedan or cross over – sorry, Fred, your mini just doesn’t cut it! (We hope to implement this by the Jingle Bell – we won’t have time to do it this week, sorry)
- RESERVED SPOTS – we have also committed to the park that there will be 5 spots allotted in each lot for non-runners. these will be blocked with cones. The only people who should move these cones are the parking volunteers.
- BE EARLY – Because of the parking situation, if you arrive after 9:15 (or even 9), you may not make the race on time.
If we find that we are having “repeat offenders” that are causing issues with the park and jeopardizing our status in the park, you may be disqualified from the series at the discretion of the WS director and club President.
Thank you in advance and I know we are going to have a great 11 weeks to come!
And now back to our regularly scheduled programming….anyone have any thoughts on Garmins?!?!?